Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Questions About Auto Paint?

I want to paint my truck myself, And I am wondering what tools that I will need, I want it metallic black with two white stripes on the side (The stripes I'm getting a professional to do)





So what tools will I need, where can I get them, where can I find a tutorial on how to do it, and can anyone refer a good site for purchasing Metallic Black Auto Paint.





Thanks :-), Im Bustin my *** restoring this vehicle and i really need some helpQuestions About Auto Paint?
As already mentioned, D/A, air board, numerous long boards and blocks, gun, adequate compressor, body hammers, dollies, tack cloths, buffer, a seemingly endless supply of various grit papers, etc. and most importantly the best air filter and dryer that you can afford for the compressor. Oil, moisture, and dirt in your air supply will cause more problems than you could ever imagine. Just as an aside, you may want to seriously re-think painting it black. Unless the bodywork and paint prep are both close to flawless, black will show every imperfection, regardless of how minor it looked in prep.Questions About Auto Paint?
youll need a da sander(dual action), air compressor, i recomend a hvlp spray gun and a manual about auto body, paint, from hp manuals. it will probly run you close to 500 dollars for this job of you already have an air compresor.
wow some interesting responses.


well bubba check it you need a dual stage air compressor lets say you can maybe get a decent one rebuilt for 150 now you need to go to harbor freight and get a da, paint gun fittings, sanding block hmmm about 150, you can get some valspar 2 stage or 1 stage for your paint disturiotor for hmmm 100-200 for the car you need somne 320 and 400 sand paper. now this is hard to say how much you need a roll is about 34 bucks you need some red scotchbrite and 1 piece of light grey.


2 rolls of tape 5 bucks each and then get some old newspaper for the masking


are ya getting the picture this is a complicated and bubba these are my prices i paint with my sata rp 3000 thats 4-600 a pop.


do you have a place (a paint booth) or a place in the country you can paint??


you can go to a shop in your town and ask to rent there booth for the weekend or night. tell them what you want to do and that you want to do it yourself. small shops are best for this. guess what some of them will let you park your truck there to the side for a rental space (like 50 bucks or 100) and you get to use there compressor. the really nicething here is if your not a pest and you really are trying to mask , do the body work and paint it, some of us will come over and teach and maybe help you, and maybe you will be offered a job.


the saftey stuff like gloves respirators and such such will runn you at least 100 bucks


really you are look at at spending 1k to do it yourself when 1k cash(if you do the disassembleing and sanding and start the masking and dio the detail) will get you a 3k paint job. its oct and theres most places are slowing down right now and if you go to a local shop that is CLEAN and has some pimp things im sure they will help you out.


dupont has a how too book it works for all paints for the most part. if you are going to do this yourself id just stick with a solid color no metallics or pearls. i might check amazon.com for a how2 book.
Hey, I painted a car once and I will never do it again. But it鈥檚 worth doing for yourself. I wish I had asked first. I thought it was like TV just sand it and spray some paint. You will need an air board, also called an inline sander this will help you out on the long flat areas of the truck. If you have a compressor make sure that it will run the gun you get. I rented the whole thing gun, compressor and sanders. It cost me 200 for the week.





Make your own paint booth it鈥檚 worth it. I used plastic and pvc that I had already. The first time I painted it I did not use a booth as you see I said the first time.





Sand sand and sand some more. I saw that on speed TV when you think you are done sanding keep sanding. Use the finest paper you can get. I asked at my local parts store and they told me about the dry sand then the wet sand then the dry and then the wet again. Even though I thought I was done sanding I wasn鈥檛, hence the second time I painted it I sanded twice as much.





I got a video (from the back of hot rod) before I painted it the second time. I watched it over and over while I sanded.





I used an enamel paint so I had some orange peel the second time around that I had to buff out. (Oh yeah better get a Buffing wheel too.)


The car did come out good finally.





No matter what else you do go slow and practice on the side of the garage. My wife wasn鈥檛 very pleased about that ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment